Sunday 2 March 2014

DID DADDY CHOOSE FOR YOU?


‘’I have a feeling that I am not living my life to its full potentials.  I am simply lost in this field I find myself. When I was young, I was a television freak and I would imagine myself being the man at the news desk, the man in the advert, the voice narrating the advert and all. Not long, I became a renowned story teller in my school. I was very creative. Whenever teachers were tired and they needed a very creative and educative distraction in the class, they'll simply call on me and say, "Richy, please tell us a story". Without any fore-knowledge or whatever, I move to the front of the class and the story begins...even though the stories usually have no end...the teachers and my class mates enjoyed my creative fables...then I started writing short stories, poems, rhymes...

As at this moment, I work in a lab. where I carry out tests to aid precise treatment. Is it paying my bills? Yes, Am I satisfied? No way.

My father never saw anything good in my abilities, despite all the remarks from my teachers both in primary and junior secondary school that I would thrive in the Arts, my father still insisted that I must became a medical doctor hence be in the sciences in my senior secondary classes.
I said I wanted to be in the arts so I could become a broadcaster, he slammed me, saying, ‘’arts is for lazy people, are you lazy?’’ I responded ‘’No Sir’’, ''I am not lazy''...He wanted me to be a medical doctor by all means. It was a tough one as I couldn't meet up and I ended as a lab scientist which he still considers as failure on my part till date..."
I feel like a captive living out my fathers life and desires and not my own life. Even if I want to follow my dreams, where and how can I start now?’’

You have read it all. Many of us may have similar experiences. Since the responsibility of raising the child falls directly on them, Is it a wrong thing for parents to choose  career paths for their children?  Let us not also undermine the fact that some parents have led their children to success, even though they are living out dad and mum's dream.

Changing career path is not such an easy one. What should people with this situation do? Personally, how would you love to direct your kids?
Please share your views.

Contact Us
All text on this blog are original work of bondedhome. Usage or re-print of any sort is not allowed without express permission from bondedhome admin.
 Pix




11 comments:

  1. After reading this article... it is advisable that parents don't dictate career paths for kids...they should guide and support them in their chosen career paths...however, what should a parent do when a child doesn't know what he wants to do and just wants to do anything to get by?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:13 am

    Our desperation to get admission at all cost leaves us with no choice they(parent) are heavily involved unless you want to sponsor yourself, feed and move to your own house but in the real sense they should serve as a counsellor that should support you in which ever discipline you choose and guide you through. Majority of us ended up studying any course because our friends were already in school and so the desperation to ''just leave the house'' made us bow to pressure from our parent. @profscomedy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ceewai1:13 am

    This is seen everywhere in Nigeria and maybe. Africa. The truth is, at the end of the day, the parents are happy , while the victim, who is the child stays unhappy. I remember my father in-law calling me to say he has told his friends that his daughter, who is my wife, is a medical doctor and that I should let her go back to school to study medicine. Of course, my wife was offended at that. A child is to be monitored from early age with respect to where his interests tilt toward. That is a pointer to his destiny. if this is well cultured, the child would know the reason he goes to school and what to study in school. I see it as a sheer wickedness and foolishness for parents to keep doing this evil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the facts that some career chosen by parents for their children leads to success at initial time but don't end well. Preferably, i rather suggest that parents should let their children choose their future career cos forcing a child to do wats not contrary to his/her choice of mind might lead to something else. If my child chooses a career that's his future dream it's left for me to follow him up, advice him, show him the right & the wrong, advantage & disadvantage of the career for he/she to understand the specie career he/she choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that we all came here (on earth) on our different days and for different purposes with different destinies. Its ideal for everyone to choose his/her career. But then, its the responsibility of the parents/guardians to deeply explain to a child the details of the career he/she has chosen or is choosing to be sure they aren't mislead or pushed by peer. I stop here for now. »@cmaobee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite the facts that some career chosen by parents for their children leads to success at initial time but don't end well. Preferably, i rather suggest that parents should let their children choose their future career cos forcing a child to do wats not contrary to his/her choice of mind might lead to something else. If my child chooses a career that's his future dream it's left for me to follow him up, advice him, show him the right & the wrong, advantage & disadvantage of the career for he/she to understand the specie career he/she choose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who told u u can't change career?...not yet late....start doing "alagaduro" for free from there u pick up yrs desired path or understudy basket mouth or SEYI law... Well,a saying in my language says"if a lady is attacked by a rapist and over powered she better start enjoying the show although its against her wish"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite the facts that some career chosen by parents for their children leads to success at initial time but don't end well. Preferably, i rather suggest that parents should let their children choose their future career cos forcing a child to do wats not contrary to his/her choice of mind might lead to something else. If my child chooses a career that's his future dream it's left for me to follow him up, advice him, show him the right & the wrong, advantage & disadvantage of the career for he/she to understand the specie career he/she choose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:40 pm

    Career path used to b choosen by parents those days but not anymore,I can encourage ma children in wateva career path dey choose I can't impose anytin on dem...
    Tins hv rilly changed in dis 21st century u can mk it in wateva career so far ur packaging is tight n entisin..pls it is not too late 4 ur 2 follow ur dreams
    Azzizat Akanji

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it's a living paradise when one's dream is exactly what the parents ve in mind for them. But a Living Hell when it's the opposite, but seriously I think parents should try and learn how to respect there children's opinion when it comes to there future, thus they shouldn't impose carrier for their children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:19 pm

    Someone close to me have lost years ( so to say) because he was trying against his ability to study sciences which his Father insisted he does in the university. He has never failed jamb yet he is in 3rd university eventually studying what he prefers. His mates must have finished NYSC last year yet he just in 300L. What I am saying is parents should stop frustrating their kids. As someone rightfully said, packaging is important. The economy is not even encouraging education. Those in show biz who might have dropped out in school are better celebrated than the the doctor working his head out in a general hospital. Margaret.

    ReplyDelete